Dissecting the Move to A.D.

Corey Goff was introduced as Muhlenberg’s next athletic director this morning. Here, he discusses the unexpected path he took to that position.

Twelve years ago I was dissecting frogs with middle school students, today I am being named the next Director of Athletics at Muhlenberg College?

At the time I was teaching biology while coaching football and baseball at Wyoming Seminary. One of our senior football players, Clem Gover, was already on his way to Muhlenberg when I agreed to join Mike Donnelly’s staff as an assistant football coach. I remember thinking Clem would probably spend more time at Muhlenberg than I would.

Corey Goff with quarterback Justin Jones in 2001. In 2002, with Goff serving as offensive coordinator, Jones was the Centennial Conference player of the year.

My stop in Allentown would be brief because I was on my way up the coaching ladder quickly. Lauren and I lived in Philadelphia for the first two years of our marriage in part because I would not be here long enough to justify moving to Allentown. Muhlenberg would just be another line on my resume, or so I thought …

In recent years, when recruits ask me if I will remain at Muhlenberg for their entire career, I can’t help but think about Clem Gover.

I usually make light of the question by saying “if Stanford or Notre Dame were to call and offer me a job I guess I would have to listen.” I go on to explain how rewarding it is to work in a community that recognizes and values the positive role athletics can play in the small college experience. I reference the success several of our teams have had recently on the national stage and share my belief that each of our teams can experience that level of achievement athletically.

I look back now and realize how lucky we (my family and I) are that opportunity didn’t knock too loudly during those times when I thought the grass might have been greener …

After graduating from Muhlenberg in 2004, Clem Gover served our nation as a Captain in the United States Army and has since become a very successful financial advisor for Wells Fargo in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Coincidentally, he is married to a college classmate of mine.

Go Mules!