Cleaning the Glass

Spencer Liddic has put up some really impressive numbers during his time with the Muhlenberg men’s basketball team. But in the Mules’ game against Swarthmore last night, he went where only two other players have ever gone in the history of the Centennial Conference.

Liddic tied the conference record with 21 rebounds in the Mules’ 79-56 win over the Garnet. It equaled the mark set in 1995 — fittingly, by a Swarthmore player — and tied in 1997.

It was the best rebounding night by a Mule in more than three decades and bettered his previous career-high, also set against the Garnet, by two.

Liddic has led the conference in rebounding each of the past two years and currently leads by more than five per game this season. He has pulled down 44 offensive boards thus far, the next closest CC player has 18.

According to teammate Austin Curry, it is Liddic’s relentless effort that has always made him a great rebounder. But this season, Curry said, he has taken it to an even higher level.

“Spencer is such a great player; he works harder than anyone else every time we step on the floor,” Curry said. “He gives everything he has, and as weird as it sounds, tonight was just another typical effort from him.

“He’s such a great player, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him break the record this year.”

With 818 career rebounds, Liddic currently ranks seventh on the conference’s all-time list and is just 21 boards away from the top five.

He is averaging 15.1 rebounds per game this season, and is within striking distance of the CC career record of 947.

But for a player whose name appears throughout the Mule record book, including the single-season scoring mark, it was just another day at the office.

Liddic said he doesn’t really pay any attention to the records. What fuels his play in the paint is the desire to win. He has never played for a CC championship and desperately wants to change that this season.

“It feels great to tie the record, but it’s really a tribute to my teammates,” Liddic said. “Swarthmore was doubling me all night, but the pressure wasn’t on me because everyone else performed to their abilities and played well.

“This is my last year, so I want to make it a special season. I don’t care how many rebounds I get, as long as we keep on winning.”